Monday, July 11, 2011

We must strive for equality

After just returning from a beach vacation where our family ate overpriced seafood on more than one occasion.... this makes me so mad.... at MYSELF! Father forgive us. I'm not trying to say that we should not be able to have a wonderful time with our families or even that we should not eat good food BUT obviously, we need to be spending less and sending more. God said the poor would always be among us but we need some equality. He did mean for us to live simply so others could simply live. Wish I could say that I'm part of that living simply camp but I'm afraid I can't unless I redefine "living simply" to fit my liking.

Read the following article and please pray for the people of Africa. I know that the poor and starving are found in many countries and my heart hurts for all of them. These facts out of Ethiopia just hit hard when you know you have a child(ren) and their families living there in dire straits. Lord, help us strive for equality!


Ethiopia needs $398 million for food aid

Ethiopia said Monday it needed $398 million to help millions of people in need of food aid due to a severe drought.

The Horn of Africa region has been hit by one of its worst droughts in decades which has left millions of people facing starvation.

"It is estimated that a total of 4.5 million people will require humanitarian assistance during the remaining period of the current year from July to December 2011," Agriculture Minister Mitiku Kassa told reporters.

The figure marks a 40-percent rise in those needing food aid since April.

On Saturday, the UN emergency relief coordinator Valerie Amos called for long-term solutions to curb the effects of the severe drought in Ethiopia.

Ethiopia has also seen an influx of Somalis seeking relief from the harsh drought and food scarcity.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is heart-breaking!!! Thanks for sharing...I will be praying! It is so hard to read about... especially when it is the birth country of our daughters!
    I am SO GLAD that we saw you at the beach! It was so good to "catch-up" really quick and see your sweet face! Love ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete